Image Map

trust and faith

04 March 2013

The saying goes "when it rains it pours". This has proven true for most of our relationship.We experience times of completely calm, and have a relatively boring life. Then one day, BAM, it all unfolds and our life gets pulled in nine million directions. The last crazy time period was right before the wedding -- there was chaos with all the planning and then of course on top of that, Keith had multiple surgeries to go through. It was a crazy stressful period. Then we got to the other side and settled in married life, enjoying the last few months of quiet.

And now, we've listed our house -- sold our house -- and are in the process of finding our next home. That in itself is a fulltime job, on TOP of our fulltime jobs and Keith pulling crazy overtime hours at work. I felt we were at our max limit, but as usual, there was more. They also say that God never gives you more than you can handle, and I do believe that. In times of deep stress and anxiety, those are the times when we notice that we are leaning more on God. We pray harder and more frequently. Not because we are asking Him to take away our stress or pain, but because we need more of His strength to get through it.

About three weeks ago, I received news that my grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer. My grandmother is my person, she is my rock and my sounding board. Even though we are separated by the entire continental United States and 3000 miles of Pacific Ocean, we are extremely close. Finding out this news absolutely shook me to the core. I had never experienced this kind of pain. No one in my life had ever been really sick, and I found myself grappling with new emotions.


On my wedding day, 9/1/12


Despite the fact that it was the worst possible time for me to be away from home, I booked a plane ticket to Honolulu. I knew in my gut that I needed to see my grandmother, to sit with her and talk stories, and to help her through this time period. I knew my job could wait, hell, finding a house could wait too. There are some things that happen that shake you and make you realize what is truly important in life -- for me, it's faith, family and love.

My grandmother's prognosis is good. They caught the cancer early and are removing the lump on Monday March 11 and then doing a quick month of radiation. We are so very fortunate that she will make a full recovery. I know that not every family that gets this diagnosis is as lucky.







I always try to look for the good in things .... yes this was an awful, scary situation, but it's allowing me 7 precious days with my grandparents. Since we live so far away, and when our life gets crazy again, I'll be grateful for these memories. My faith is constantly being renewed, but seeing my prayers answered makes me ten times more appreciative that I have faith, without it my life would be nothing.




I leave for Honolulu on Saturday and can't wait to spend this time with my family, and come back here and share photos and memories of our week. 

Tonight, hug your loved ones a little closer and never take one minute for granted. 







1 comment :

  1. Beautiful. <3 Even though I have never met her, I can see that your grandma has a radiance that even shines through a camera lens.

    ReplyDelete